Monday, September 15, 2008

John Sutherland Reneges on Vow to Eat "The Enchantress of Florence"

1st\NW Quadrant: The Approval Matrix

By Complete Review

In reviewing Salman Rushdie's The Enchantress of Florence in the Financial Times John Sutherland got a bit carried away and wrote:

There is more magic than realism in this latest novel. But it is, I think, one of his best. If The Enchantress of Florence doesn’t win this year’s Man Booker I’ll curry my proof copy and eat it.

Now we are shocked to find that Sutherland writes about the recently announced Man Booker shortlist:

I've read two of the titles. I'll take Michael Portillo at his word (ie the pageturningness) and have them all read by decision day. In short, an interesting shortlist. Particularly interesting for me, I should add, since I vowed -- publicly -- to curry and eat my proof copy of The Enchantress of Florence if it didn't win. It won't. And I won't. So there.

I might manage a custard pie on October 10, though.

We wrote about "The Enchantress of Florence" previously here.

No comments: